Friday, December 25, 2009

There's shit in my stocking



Julian Casablancas recently performed "I Wish It Was Christmas Today" on Jimmy Fallon's late night talk show alongside Jimmy and Horatio Sanz . These are the things I'm finding difficult to understand:

1) His feather earring. There is no way he has been hanging out with Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes) but I can't think of any other explanation.
2) He is solo. promoting his solo album. and singing like he's in the Strokes. These are the heavy vocals I was waiting to hear on 'Phrazes For The Young' to no avail.
3) This song is a cover of an SNL version. ::clears throat:: I repeat, this is a cover of an SNL song (which he recorded months before being on Fallon's show (?) and you can now buy on itunes).

At first he's slightly heartwarming and at one point even (kind of) seems to be enjoying himself. Then he blows his cover and I remember- this is the guy that refuses to sign autographs: Jimmy and Horatio begin the Ashlee Simpson jig; Julian pulls a classic hipster move by shoving his hands in his pockets and scratching his head as the judgement seeps out from behind his blues brother Ray Bans and he exits stage right.

Julian Casablancas has no idea who he is as a solo artist and maybe he never did-- but he is not JT. And this is not Rock and Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment